Saturday, February 11, 2012

Squash and Wheat Sauce

I made up a sauce tonight. Usually when I make up recipes I don't measure anything out, I just eyeball it, which is what I did tonight, too. This makes it tricky to write down. :/ So instead of thinking of this recipe as an exact method, think of it as a guide and feel free to add a bit more or a bit less. :)


  • Slice up half a medium zucchini and then quarter the slices.
  • Do the same for a medium-small yellow squash.
  • Put them in your skillet with 1/2 a cup of milk and a 1/3 cup of butter on medium heat.
  • Add about 1 1/2 cups of pineapple juice. (I used Langers) The milk will start to curdle but don't freak out. It will be good. :)
  • Add more milk. (1/2 cup to 3/4 cup.)
  • Throw in some mushrooms. My mushrooms had been in my freezer, whole, and wouldn't slice so I threw in about 5 or 6 whole ones. It kinda turned getting a mushroom into a treat. :) However, if you don't want to brave whole mushrooms, go ahead and slice them. :)
  • Slice and then quarter a medium-small tomato. Add.
  • At this point you'll notice that despite the chunks of veggies your actual sauce is looking pretty thin. This is when I opened my cupboard for my white flour, stopped myself, and spontaneously decided that wheat flour would better lend itself to the overall texture and taste of the sauce. HOME RUN. Spoon in your wheat flour a couple tablespoons at a time, stir in and repeat until you reach your desired consistency.
  • While stirring in the flour, add 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and about 1/2 a teaspoon of pepper.
  • Add about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of peas, as desired.
  • Leave sauce on your stove on low just long enough to warm up your peas. Serve over egg noodles, or whatever else you happen to have on hand. Enjoy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment